Access all the resources you need for your multi-discipline firm’s full range of architectural, engineering, and historic preservation projects with this library of over 880 sections from the
Building Architecture/Engineering, Historic Preservation,
Communications, and Commissioning libraries.
Easily specify your clients’ full range of projects — from new construction to historic restoration — with the most thoroughly written specifications, extensive background research, and automated editing
software — all on the same, user-friendly screen.
Written by architects, engineers, master specification experts, and researchers, the Comprehensive Specifications Library features procurement and
contracting requirements, general requirements, and technical construction specifications for these disciplines:
- Historic preservation, rehabilitation, restoration, and reconstruction
- Mechanical HVAC and plumbing
- Electronic safety and security
- Site Civil
A product of the AIA, MasterSpec® is endorsed or recommended by ASID, ACEC, CASE, NSPE, IIDA, SDA, and other professional organizations and is consistent with building and specialty codes
such as the IBC and NEC.
As a multidiscipline firm, you can rely on MasterSpec for:
- Easy Integration — This comprehensive master specification system:
- Complements your project drawing information
- Coordinates with standard AIA and EJCDC Contract Documents
- Integrates special procedures and administrative requirements applicable to historic preservation treatments recognized by The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Cloud-based Background Research — Enjoy time-saving, 24/7/365 access to MasterSpec’s industry-recognized Supporting Documents — extensive research of applicable standards and guidelines
- Answers for Varied Project Sizes, Types, and Complexities — MasterSpec offers you solutions that fit your role and the complexity your project demands. Choose from packages and formats designed for your practice.
- Building Code Compliance — The Comprehensive Library helps guide your specification decisions for meeting model building codes, such as the ICC Code family, International Building Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, and National Electrical Code, and where applicable, provides background information and advice in the Supporting Documents.
- Architectural and Engineering Standards — MasterSpec incorporates or references current standards published by AAMA, AASHTO, ACI, AISC, AHRI, AITC, AMCA, ANSI, ASCE, ASHRAE, ASTM, AWS, BHMA, CISCA, CSA, DHI, FMGlobal, ICRI, IEC, IES, IEEE, GANA, HMMA, Intertek, MIA, MSS, NAIMA, NFPA, NEMA, NETA, NFRC, NRCA, NRMCA, NSF, PCI, PDI, RFCI, SDI, SJI, SPRI, UL, SMACNA, TCNA, TIA, TPI, and WDMA among others, to make sure that you are specifying the proper products and characteristics.
- Sustainable Design Information — Easily access and select LEED v4, LEED 2009, Green Globes, the International Green Construction Code (IgCC), and ASHRAE 189.1 information and discussion.
- A Formal Peer and Technical Review Process — MasterSpec is the only commercial specification system reviewed by a committee of practicing architects, professional engineers, and specification experts.
With the Comprehensive Specifications Library, you can specify:
- Architecture — Architectural precast concrete, metal work, brick, stone, finish carpentry, waterproofing, weather and air barriers, moisture protection, insulation, siding, roofing, storefront, curtain wall, windows, doors, door hardware, gypsum board, floor, wall, and ceiling finishes, painting, signage, cabinets, casework, fixed furnishings, parking control, foodservice and other equipment, elevators, escalators, and demolition
- Historic Preservation — Detailed historic treatment procedures for brick, stone, terra cotta, decorative metal, wood, steel, wood and steel windows, plaster, plain and decorative painting, and gilding
- Site Civil and Landscape — Sitework, utilities, masonry, paving, soils, plants, turf and grasses
- Structural — Concrete, structural precast concrete, masonry work, structural steel, steel joists, steel deck, cold formed framing, and rough carpentry
- Mechanical — Fire suppression, air handling units, chilled and hot water plants, refrigeration systems, control systems, plumbing piping and components, and HVAC equipment
- Electrical — Distribution and control equipment for power, lighting, and telecommunications as well as traditional and LED lighting, solar power, power conditioning, and backup units, substations, switchgear, transformers, metering, monitoring, and control
- Communications — Infrastructure and equipment such as nurse call systems, intercommunications, public address, and display systems
- Electronic safety and security equipment — Security cameras, access control, fire alarm, and mass notification systems
- Commissioning — Commissioning (Cx) activities performed by the contractor during construction phase
Table of Contents:
Explore sample sections and Supporting Documents:
MasterSpec Supporting Documents include:
- Drawing Coordination Checklist
- Specification Coordination Checklist
Select the solution that best fits your needs:
Contact us at 800.424.5080 for personalized service and additional discounts (professional organization, volume, multi-year, renewal, and special promotions).
Basic Solutions — Sections for typical projects
MasterSpec is licensed by site, not by seat.
- Save $3310
- Save $3090
- Save $3090
- Save $2680
Expanded Solutions — Basic solutions plus supplemental specialty sections
MasterSpec is licensed by site, not by seat.
- Save $4840
- Save $4250
- Save $4180
- Save $3630
||Premium + Professional + Outline (discounted)
||Microsoft® Word plug-in for automating spec editing, production, & reporting
||Preliminary specifications (for use in the design development phase) that may be added on to Professional and/or Premium libraries
||Most comprehensive specification text for your various projects, including those with complex contractual requirements
||Premium plus Outline specs for design development phase (discounted)
||Full but streamlined specification text for your typical projects and contractual requirements
||Professional plus Outline specs for design development phase (discounted)
||Sophisticated management tool for office masters and project manuals. Add-on software that works with the Premium specifications only
||Premium + Professional (discounted)